Sunday, February 12, 2006

A response plus a little extra

This started out as a comment to Leah's latest post, but as I kept going, and going, and going I thought I better not put it there and instead turned it into a little posty of my own right here.

I found it interesting to read your (Leah's) reaction to seeing The Vagina Monologues. The play is overloading, you're right. It's worth remembering what the purpose of these productions is: to raise awareness and money for programs that address women and girls in crisis. To shine light on places that don't usually get discussed - if a culture can't say the word, how can they effectively deal with what's being done to them?

I'm with you on the whole 'what part I could perform?' question, which is why I'm directing. :) Even though I can't really directly relate through experience to most of the monologues I'm coming at it from the point of view that I don't really want to see a lot of that stuff happening. A Jewish actress in my cast equated our performance with the Seder (I apologize if I offend, I liked the beauty of her analogy), pointing out that, like a Seder, we're each taking a turn to read a piece from a script to witness for women, to be women, celebreate women, and remember.

Each production of the show is so different. Mine is not really in-your-face compared to most of the productions that I've seen of this. I'm looking for the humor, spirit, and hope vs. the despairing victim and overwhelming anger (not to say there isn't anger and pain, but that I chose to handle it carefully and shoot for balance).

Plus, you're right - who really spends that much time thinking about their gentials? I mean, I have had few great conversations with girlfriends, but whoa - the show is clearly V-Centric from the get-go. I'm not sure about hands...I totally have a thing for eyes, but really, it's all pretty spectacular, and I think all of us are much more than the sum of our parts.

Anyway, it's like what I wrote in my "Director's Note" for the program for my show:

"Tonight's performance is being staged as a reading during which we will witness with the actresses several aspects of womanhood. While no one play could ever encapsulate the entire experience of being a woman for all women, this production offers a glimpse into several lives and examples that are all too often put away, hidden, and not discussed. By bringing them out into the open and shining light into some of these dark and often scary places we hope that someday we may put an end to the violence, shame, and oppression that exist for many women. Additionally, just as this play does not cover all experiences for women, it does not represent all men; to assume that all men are violent and cruel does a disservice to our fathers, sons, and husbands, and can create a dangerious self-fulfilling prophecy."

So, I'm glad you saw it. It seems to have left you with some emotional and intellectual cud to chew on - it's what art is supposed to do. I'm also with you on the fact that I'm really glad that when I finish rehearsals, when I finish this play, I get to go to my nice (if also messy!) home, with a fabulous husband (go geeks!) and cool daughter - a home where I'm loved and respected.

Now, for links and internet of general fun!

This is the coolest knit scarf pattern I've seen in a while. You bet I'll be making this bad boy.

The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny....and a bloodstained Mr. Rogers? NOOOOO!!! This infectious little song also features a giant, villainous, Transformer taking out Batman and Chuck Norris. It's cute, it's funny, and it won't get out of my head!!!

Night of the Living Dead reenacted by bunnies in 30-seconds. Naaaaah.

Kitty bowling! It's all about the flailing legs. It might also be the *meeeeOW!*

A Gilmore Girls feud??!?

Question: What is a bastard?

I don't know if I'm ready for a boss with that kind of honesty.

Bunny Suicides. Oh, what the hell.

I know, it's not Halloween...and this is the second Halloween-ish link in this post......but have I ever been one to really wait?

Yes!! When Computers fight back! (Ok, by now a few of you may remember some of these links from a particular night at my computer after D&D).

Speaking of D&D!!!! Those spiffy D&Ders got a grant of $500 for more books and 5 sets of dice that will live at the library for them to use!

Plus, the Japanese Culture Club got a $1000 grant towards their trip to AnimeBoston. However, the really inexpensive hotel rooms are disappearing, so I'm worried that they're going to need to do massive fund-raising to cover the rest just for lodging, food, and travel expenses.

Zombie pin-ups! Beauty and BRAAAAAAAIINNSSS!

What could follow that? Why cute, cuddly, baby animals (and if I've done my job well, and you've come this far, you're wondering whether or not you should click on this link? Perhaps something horrible will pop out? Hmmmmm, curious?)

2 Comments:

Blogger Jess-Beast said...

The ultimate show down!

The. Greatest. Thing. EVER!

11:12 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

I don't know how it's usually done, but everyone held scripts in our version...but had lot's memorized too...it was really well done...and it's amazing to think of how many places it is preformed in...in one of the narrations when they talked about all of the places where it was being preformed I thought: "It's being preformed in BF too!!!!!!"

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home