Monday, March 13, 2006

too much fun for my own good


Lately I've found reality truly amusing. How some people can think one thing so completely because they are capable of such a narrow bias; that if they were only able to release a little of their ego they would see a bigger picture and get a good look at themselves. Of course, I'm guilty of this on occasion, but I do like to think that I give myself enough space to look around quietly while letting go of wants. Anyway, the people that tend to do this the most are by and large the biggest collective group of complete jackasses I've ever known.

Editorial over.

I realized that with the library blog being attached to my profile now I'm going to have to remove this blog from the profile - while I don't do anything actually embarrassing here, it's best not to complicate matters with a personal blog on a library-linked space.

Otherwise things have been nifty and fun. Jess called me at the library the other day, which was excellent-cool!! Except for the group of kids patiently, and then not-so-patiently, waiting for my attention (actually they wanted to use the phone to call their friends to meet them downtown and were ticked when I told them that it wasn't a public phone but for calling for parents and rides only). And she mentioned Black Adder, which got me thinking, and then Allegra got involved, so this weekend we went to Reel to Real and binged on Black Adder. Fun!

Plus, we got Howl's Moving Castle and watched that for tonight's anime program (Attention Disney: I have a site license. Please don't sue me). The anime group wants to start having more discussions and chats and "stuff", so the plan is that everyone took out books from Pet Shop of Horrors and next meeting we're going to have a book discussion. I suspect high entertainment will ensue.

Anyway, just a mini-update and no actual links of fun (for once!) to say hi and yes I'm still alive and kicking (as opposed to...).

What I'm reading: I spent some time upstairs doing some computer work and I ran across this title on the new books shelf: The Town That Forgot How to Breathe. You're first thought might be: Really? And I would have to say: Yes. You see what makes this story fascinating is not just its resemblance to classic Stephen King in his Maine setting, but the use of the horror genre for general culture insight. There is some fabulously creepy imagery going on in this story both grotesque and fascinating; as well as captivating and timely political commentary. While it is easy to compare this novel to King's early work, the truth is that his storytelling really does stand on its own.

What I'm Watching: Of course, there is Howl's Moving Castle.

I'm also guilty of having watched Mirrormask a few more times.

The Black Adder made us happy this weekend.

A dark, modern comedy (I mean dark) about modern life The Chumbscrubber was a tragic, funny, and culturally nauseating film; a satire that was both way off and right on about the downfall of life in surbibia in a seemingly idyllic neighborhood.

3 Comments:

Blogger Me said...

I'm getting Mirrormask... I cant wait!
Thanks for that program Sam. I may also be getting the entire series of Oh! My Goddess. WHICH IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok rant over

10:44 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

I'll be coming home Friday night...and I'll probably wander over to the library at some point/points...I'm the only one coming back next week.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Myles said...

I just saw Mirrormask last night with Katie. It was really good. I had read the picture book version but it no where near captured the movie.
Good stuff.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home