Thursday, November 03, 2005

*ah*ah*ah*....CHOO!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I went home sick yesterday, that was just horrid. What started out as a little sneezing and a scratchy-ish throat, over the time I was at work, turned into a torrent of *HAH-CHOO*, a pounding headache, and the inability to breathe...much. Thankfully, Jake covered the desk for a half hour and Doreen was dispatched to run the Youth Department for me.

As soon as I got home, I was asleep. Now, it's morning, and I'm up and I'm actually feeling much better. The whole stuffed head thing is super annoying, but the headache and chills broke and now I can be pleasant again. I just can't breathe.

However, I'm supposed to have rehearsal tonight, and I think I'm going to just bow out. The last thing I want to do is strain my voice while my throat is still scratchy - I need to be able to sing by next weekend and damaging things is NOT a good idea! So, it looks like I'm going to be able to go home on time tonight.

And next week is vacation!!!!!! YAYAAYAAYAYY!!!

Anyway, some randomness to get through the day:

Someone sent me a link recommending this game: The Sandbox of God. The title evokes the image of Calvin playing in the sandbox....

Now who wouldn't want a Law & Order coloring book?

And why not follow that up with some classic propaganda.

What fun would one of these posts be without a little ranting? Especially about stupid, oversized, ridiculous, status-conscious, gas guzzlers??!

I was having (probably too much) fun reading through Anxiety Culture gems like "How to Avoid Responsibilities (Don't Read this if you're a responsible member of the community)", "Lazy Person's Guide to Power", and "8,000 Years of Anti-Social Behavior".

Well, ok, so maybe they have a point, but couldn't they find a more effective way to make it?

Excellence Through Guesswork
! (I admit, I didn't spend much time here, just found their tagline perfectly charming.)

Play Castelvania. Really, you should. Go! Play!

Easter Eggs banned in bird flu scare (Goverment denies overreaction).

And just because I'm in the mood for a classic 8 bit D&D.

Here's a little balance to the OED: The Foolish Dictionary, which includes wonderful entries like this one:
AFTERTHOUGHT A tardy sense of prudence that prompts one to try to shut his mouth about the time he has put his foot in it
or

NOSE A prominent member of the face family, usually a Greek or Roman, who owns the shortest bridge in the world. He is often stuck up in company, but frequently blows himself when he has his grippe. Principal occupations, sniffling, snivelling, sneezing, snorting and scenting, intruding in the neighbors' affairs, stuffing himself without permission and bleeding for others.
Anyway, it's amusing.

What I'm Reading: I was able to keep my eyes open for a half hour and read through this interesting tale: The Old Country. The story has the feel of classic folklore with a modern pace and taste for adventure. When young Giselle looks too long into the eyes of a fox she trades bodies with the animal. The animal, always wanting to be human runs off to join the girl's family. The girl, now trapped in fox's body runs from the war that creeps closer - that has already claimed her brother. Giselle is guided by a forest sprite back to her family and humanity, and when she finally gets the opportunity to reclaim her life, faces a susprising choice. Although I rather enjoyed the book and can think of a few patrons that will also really like it, I do think that it will have more a long-term place in language arts curriculum than in recreational reading.

What I'm Watching: After I read the book (ok, the last chapters might have been skimmed just for detail - I could barely keep my eyes open!!), Allegra came in and watched something that I caught a few moments of. I think it might have been Barbie Rapunzel. I didn't mind sleeping through it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Laurel said...

awesome!!! (about the ticket) i can have my mom drop off the money, just tell me when and where. and any more info on the trip itself would be good too.

12:22 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Not a problem, what email address can I send the info to? I don't really want to post all the details here. :) Speaking of which, Jess I have yours, but Katie and Leah - could I also have yours - I'm sending out, this week, to ticket-holders an organizational notice to those wanting to carpool or get together for dinner first.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Laurel said...

lwickber@middlebury.edu

2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home