Saturday, October 22, 2005

Because I said so. That's why.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
So my birthday falls on the exact cusp between Libra and Scorpio (either one is used for October 22nd depending on which paper you read).

I say I came into this world knowing I needed to keep my options open.

While I've always tended to lean towards the "Libra" (how abitrary...), I like the Scorpio tendencies as well...I've decided my ranting has to do with the Scorpio side. Because I didn't realize I ranted regularly. I've often thought of it as just verbalizing my thought process. However, a certain young gentleman that hangs out around my desk at the library whose name rhymes with "Moss" pointed out that I rant on a regular basis. I said that I'm just doing lots of thinking.

Anyway, fun times ahead. Jay and Ali got me a whole new sushi set (which is fun AND needed!), I'm going out for dinner tonight, and yarn shopping first (Jay suggested no less!). I do actually *need* to go yarn shopping. Since I made those "wizard" scarves that were auctioned off with the Harry Potter Basket for the Friends of the Library, I've gotten several commissions to make more that people are planning on giving as Christmas gifts (according to Devik, because I wasn't there during the auction, my basket and D. Saaf's were the only two that auctioned for over $100 - not bad!). So, I figure, at cost for materials and how long it takes me to make one, each wizard scarf costs $60 (a steal!). And an interesting point: no one wants a Gryffindor scarf - they all want the Slytherin-style.

So, fun things I've discovered and feel like sharing:

I love the Magic Eye books. Of course, I love them because I can do them. I'm not sure if it's because of my poor eyesight/astigmatism that enables this particular talent or something else. Regardless, I realize this may not be a nice statement BUT, I love that it takes me seconds to see them while other people around me have to strain for hours. I know, that wasn't very nice, and I shouldn't enjoy feeling superior over something so stupid, but who cares. I can. I do. Sue me.

Magazine quizzes, chain letter quizzes, internet quizzes - what a joke! This one gets it right.

Mondo Mini Shows: Showing bad animated taste at an internet near you.

There is no shame in saying that, in its time, I was something of a Breakout champion. It was either that or computer chess. *sheesh*

I love word games. This little definition game was fun until it became clear it didn't pose much of a challenge, but still - worth trying out.

I would love to put my cats in any of these costumes. Except for fear of the pain I would suffer during the costuming and after as they made their personal humiliation known. Looking at this page is kind of like a story in itself. You start off with the disturbed, not-yet-read to retailiate costume, and partway down you see psycho-cat. I imagine the well-bandaged hands of the kitty costumers that made this possible. (warning: traumatized felines)

Another addictive game.

What I'm reading: I love good first lines. Mary Roach's book "Stiff" starts with a great one.
I imagine being dead is a lot like being on a cruise ship. Most of your time is spent lying on your back. The flesh begins to soften. And no one really expects anything of you. (or something very much like that, because I'm typing from memory).
And Christopher Moore's book "The Stupidest Little Angel" starts off with:
Christmas crept into Pine Cover like a creeping Christmas thing: dragging garland ribbon and sleighbells, oozing eggnog, reeking of pine, and threatening festive doom like a cold sore under the mistletoe.
And my new read has another great first line:
On Career Day Lily visted her dad's wrk with him and discovered he worked for a made scientist who wanted to rule the earth through destruction and desolation
And another great line:
While the three kids met at the Aero-Bistro, Larry, hidden away in his secret laboratory, was lowering himself into a salt bath. He pulled off his mask, muttering, "And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for those meddling kids and their mule."
The book: Whales on Stilts by M.T. Anderson (also wrote Feed - another excellent book). This book is for people who enjoy their fiction wildly silly, adventurous, and riddled with pop references and clever language; i.e., me.

What I'm watching: Fruits Basket disc 3 - I just LOVE this funny, sweet, shojo series.

4 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

That's so cool...both you and Jess have scarf commissions....now we have to get her to charge!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Jess-Beast said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

What are you 29- again?

Now, in all seriousnesss I hope you had a wonderful day!

Loves,
~Jess^_^

3:05 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

As a matter of fact, I am!

Thanks - I've had a fabulous weekend (am rather not looking forward to having to end it all so soon).

5:47 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Yes, happy Birthday!! Sorry I forgot to say that before!!

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home