Friday, October 14, 2005

safe to come out now

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
There's this little program that I've been meaning to point out if you haven't already seen it. Skype - all the benefits of using the phone over the computer without the bills. You need speakers and a microphone and you can talk over the internet. It's pretty cool - and the sound quality (free) is not that bad - it even lets you get voicemail.

So, yeah.....Friday!

Last night my theater company teamed up with the Great Falls Peace and Justice to show the documentary V-Day...Until the Violence Stops. This is one of those documentaries that I can't watch without crying every_single_time. The video last night was the kick-off for our Vagina Monologues benefit project to raise money for and to address the issue of violence against women and girls in Rockingham. (It burns me up that I have people more worried about the fiction on my shelves than on what is actually being done to the 16 year old girl that lives next door to them). Last night's showing was both really amazing and not so great; the turn-out was smaller than we had hoped and even realistically expected (I think that "V" word scared 'em). But afterwards we had a conversation that made up for it, among much other discussion was the agreement that we need to show this documentary to more people in our community; it's an important message and one that needs to be heard and discussed locally.

Remember the "I Like you" guy? He's back with a new message.

I like some of the things that I do here on this blog everytime like "What I'm reading" and "What I'm watching" - gimmicks I can live with. I recently discovered The Sneeze (Half Blog. Half Zine. Half not good with fractions) that has a gimmick, that, well....I guess this is when a gimmick goes bad. Luckily for us, he's willing to extend himself to such lengths for our amusement.

And finally November is "National Novel Writing Month"! So, come'on who out there is with me on this? I'm going to go for it and see if I can do it - it will be fun anyway. Perhaps I'll post some excerpts. I've already signed up for it, guess I should do some thinking now before November.

What I'm Reading: (Yay! Harmless gimmick!) The Valley of Secrets is a dense, lyric, cozy English mystery set in Cornwall and preaching about the evils of deforestation and proclaiming the need for conservation; I'm only about a quarter of the way in to it, but I can say that the language is beautiful, if a bit much for the average young reader. This book really, really wants to be a classic. It's also not an easy read...there is a matter, for me anyway, of having to make myself continue reading; this is a book that requires perseverance. And the mystery, well, as I said, I haven't gotten very far, but I've seen hints of a greater mystery and I'm hoping it picks up soon.

What I'm Watching: Last night. Great Falls Peace and Justice. V-Day...Until the Violence Stops.

3 Comments:

Blogger Laurel said...

i absolutly adore that picture. hope d&d is going great. if the kids step out of line tell them we'll all come back and sing summer of '69 at them, or worse!

5:20 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

The Cirrrrcle of Liiiiiiife....

Hi, from D&D - Katie's here! YAY!

Katie: I've been trying to call you all week.

Anyway, the new group is now well in line. We actually accomplished something!!

Wish you were here!

7:29 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

My dad's been asking me for weeks when I'm going to start talking to everyone over the internet. He want's to set me up.

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home