Monday, December 05, 2005

One of the universal rules of happiness is: always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual. (Pratchett)

Must be all the sarcastic answers....

HASH(0x8d0f3dc)
I got Han Solo

Which Star Wars character are you?
brought to you by Quizilla

Alright, the post to answer all posts.

First: the drawing is from Read or Die, it's the character Yomiko in chibi form. I just really like it.

Second: Wicked! Oh, I hope you can come Katie!! I am glad that you have someone to take the ticket, but still - I know how much you wanted to see the show. It's interesting, a lot of people have backed out and the tickets have changed hands quite a bit. My friends Jeanie and Bill also just backed out and her sister and brother-in-law might be taking the tickets. Either way, Jay and I are SO going. I'm beginning to feel like this show must be cursed. After the fiasco of last year and the falling through of this year, some of us just may not be fated to see this show. In other news: there's a good chance I'll be going and seeing either Spamalot or Avenue Q again during the next Girl's Trip (my girlfriends and I) to NYC!!!

Third: Star Wars!!!! We went on the bus for a 2 and a half hour(ish) trip - had the same bus driver as last year, who is very sweet and accomodating - and what a great time it was! Alright, I did like the Lord of the Rings exhibit better, but I think that's because of my own personal preference for mythology, storytelling, and fantasy. This exhibit, in contrast, was all science and future; everything had a hands-on try it and learn component. There was a really cute robot show, and a fascinating piece on medical science and artificial limbs in the Darth Vader section. LOTS of stuff on robots, ships, other planets - that was really cool. There was a thing you could ride that was propelled by air; I can't remember what the actual title of it was as I called it what it looked like: the Giant Seated Leaf-Blower.

The one major tick-me-off was the "Millenium Falcon simulator", which sounded really cool and we all assumed was in the exhibit (where it was supposed to be!! Or at least where anyone who was coming to see the Star Wars exhibit would expect to find it), instead it was a separate thing that you had to buy a separate timed ticket for (oh, minor note here: when I figured that out, I immediately went and bought tickets for my group, the guys however, whom I told right away, chose to ignore my advice and boy were they burned when they thought they wouldn't be able to get in at all because there were no more timed tickets available before the Omni-Imax movie - until I pointed out that the movie only lasts 1 hour and that they would still have an hour before the bus got there, they were able to get tickets for that time. Go me!) !!!

So, $5 for a 4 1/2 minute screen thingie (actually it was a really cool thing about space) while sitting in the "cockpit" of the Falcon and then you get a little pin afterwards. Yeah, that was super annoying. I sent a letter to the museum pointing that out - overall, the exhibit was great, it was just that one thing - why it couldn't exist in the exhibit is beyond me (well, not quite, I have a sneaking suspicion that money might have been a factor). For the LoTR exhibit there were a few things in it that you had to pay to get - so had they put the Falcon in the exhibit and then charged for the buttons, then that would have been fine. It was the fact that we had to pay and arrange even to see the "special piece" - argh, it was just annoying and poor planning, in my opinion - and not to mention, then I had to answer to the group that went with me why it was off-limits and my answer of "the exhibit planners might be idiots" did not make members of the group happy or feel better about missing it. The trip went well, and other than one young gentleman who refused to stick near his group OR the second choice of buddying up with someone while in the general exhibit, everyone was agreeable and a fun time was had.

Anyway, a few photos of fun from Boston:

Sam and the Wookies

Caitlyn fears the Jawa (or maybe she's meowing at it...it is difficult to tell)

Jay rides the giant seated leaf blower

Hannah tries an experiment in balance

What's a photobucket-bandwidth-limit among friends?
Weary travellers that stood in front of something and looked happy about it while I took their picture.

And the Omni-Imax movie was very cool. It's always fun for me to watch the reactions of people who have never seen the Omni-Imax before. As Sam said to me when King Kong jumped off the building and the camera followed the descent: "I'm having a heart attack". It was a documentary called "Special Effects" and covered, of course, Star Wars, Independence Day, and some other big effects movies including "Jumanji" - it was rather cool to see main street Keene right up there on the Imax.

But now I've got to get out of the house and off to work, so perhaps I'll post some fun stuff later.

1 Comments:

Blogger Me said...

that looks like it was cool.
OMGS My brother has big hair.

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home